Tuesday, August 18, 2009

shoop and the 80s, part 2

What else stayed with me from the 80s? Well, there was a fair amount of music. A whole lot of "Thriller," for one thing. You either owned it, or you knew someone who did, and even if neither of those was the case, you pretty much heard the whole album on the radio. But there were a few individual songs from various artists that stood out as well--not necessarily because they were good, but one way or another, they left their mark.

Naked Eyes, "Always Something There to Remind Me": kind of boring, really, but it definitely takes me back to the Georgetown campus pub (called, appropriately enough, The Pub) and plenty of reasonably-priced beer.

Madonna, "Borderline": This one takes me back to being a lifeguard at the Yates Field House pool. Over the years, I guess I've liked Madonna less and less, but this one's kinda cute and bouncy, and it reminds me of pools.

Billy Joel, "Pressure": summed up the whole college experience for me.

Neil Diamond, "Heartlight": Remember Neil Diamond? Remember E.T.? If we weren't already embarrassed about loving E.T. so much, this song pretty much put it in perspective.

Pat Benetar, "Love is a Battlefield": The video had dialogue in it. And we were sore amazed.

The Bus Boys, "The Boys are Back in Town": Remember 48 Hours? Remember when Eddie Murphy was hysterically funny?

Tears for Fears, "Everybody Wants to Rule the World": springtime, senior year, when I was convinced my future was bright, interesting, and full of promise. Well, it was certainly full of something.

New Radicals, "You Get What You Give": Aha--not an 80s song, right? But the first few times I heard it, I not only was convinced it was an 80s song, but I could remember where I was at Georgetown when I first heard it. You gotta watch out for those faux 80s songs.

What else stayed with me? Maybe some movies. We'll look at those next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment