Wednesday, August 26, 2009

shoop and the 80s, part 3

I saw a fair amount of movies during the 80s, but comparatively few have left anything behind. I seem to remember enjoying some at the time. I mean, I had the "Indiana Jones" theme running through my head for a while, but I didn't need to see it again, nor did I need the video, nor the subsequent DVDs or blue rays or whatever they're called. "E.T." mainly introduced me to Reese's Pieces. I dutifully completed the original "Star Wars" trilogy, and I thought it was fine, neither more nor less. I never got around to stuff like "Desperately Seeking Susan," which taught a lot of girls to be Madonna-like. (I'm not sure what it taught guys, except to ignore Rosanna Arquette.)

When I think of the 80s on film, I think of the late John Hughes, but even his oeuvre kind of runs together in a blur of Molly Ringwald, various sensitive, handsome guys, and a couple of memorable nerds. The main lesson I took away from "Pretty in Pink" was that the nerd best friend CANNOT BE THE BOYFRIEND, EVER. Granted, that wasn't entirely Hughes' fault--the test audiences told him where it was at, and it wasn't with our Molly having the last dance with Duckie, with or without David Bowie. (It doesn't work that way for girl nerds, because, as we all know, girl nerds are secretly gorgeous once they clean up and take their glasses off.)

Hmm, 80s films. There's "Diner," one of my all-time favorites (if you haven't seen it, stop reading immediately and go get a copy). What else? Eddie Murphy was the funniest guy in the world for a while, unless it was Danny DeVito. Robin Williams was great in the under-appreciated "The World According to Garp"--writer Steve Tesich actually improved upon John Irving's fine novel. "The Big Chill" taught me about the fun of ensemble acting and groovy soundtracks--I wasn't the intended audience, but I liked to pretend I was. Was that really it?

Ah, yes--one more. A hot redhead who had issues with her dad. She was also a cartoon mermaid. Nobody's perfect.

1 comment:

  1. We'll take the house. Honey, the chances of another plane hitting this house are astronomical. It's been pre-disastered. We're going to be safe here.

    ReplyDelete